This month’s challenge in the DIY Forum on Facebook was DIY Wall Art. I was originally going to submit my re-purposed clock that I completed at the beginning of April, but they were leaning more towards wall art, so the brain storming began. What I ended up with (after procrastinating all month) was Toile Wall Art.
I have had an ongoing love affair with toile…I fell in love with it the first time I saw it. I also have a thing for red. Given that, it struck me as odd that I have absolutely nothing in my house that speaks of that love…until now.
Now for how I did it…
I started with a salvaged piece of oak that I had in my stash, and a few ceramic tiles that I picked up at our local thrift store (I scored a box of them for three bucks).
After sanding down all the edges of the wood piece, I stained it using my DIY vinegar/steel wool stain. I really love the way it stains…it’s gorgeous! I set that aside to dry and started working on the tiles.
With the toile fabric, I cut out three squares of scenes I liked that would fit the size of the tiles. Using spray adhesive, I lightly spritzed the tiles and centered the fabric. This helped keep them in place while I completed the next step…
…which was wrapping the excess fabric around the back and securing with a glue gun. I did the corners first, then pulled the edges tight.
Using Loctite Crafter’s Adhesive, I secured each tile to the piece of stained wood. After letting it set for two hours, my project was complete.
I probably could have gotten the corners tighter, but I was battling burns on the pads of my thumb trying to smooth it down. I have a love/hate relationship with hot glue guns.
This is how I have it set up right now. I did screw a small hanger in the back so it can hang on my wall, but since it’s more of an accent piece rather than a bold statement piece, it looked a little lonely there. So it will stay like this for a while.