When I moved into my current home, I “inherited” an old entertainment center that was left behind in my shed…my landlord said I could have it. So when someone very dear to me said she wanted a bench for her front porch, my mind immediately went to the entertainment center. I thought it would be perfect for this project.
I pulled out the entertainment center to assess what I had to work with. It was beat up in places…it actually looked chewed on in some spots, and scratched in others. But it was sturdy and I knew I could work with it.
The first thing I did was cut it down to the size I wanted. I measured it with a level and marked it with chalk…
…and the cut was used with a circular saw. Then I started tearing out the remaining pieces I didn’t need and were in the way.
I probably should have done this using a saw, but for the most part they knocked out easy enough. There was some minimal damage to some spots that was easy enough to repair.
The next step was bracing it up at the back and the seat, and started added the boards for the seat that I had cut to size. Now it was starting to look like a bench.
For the back, I added pine wainscoting cut to fit. I also started playing with the smaller details, like the trim to add to the top, and brainstorming on how to repair the earlier mentioned damage when tearing out the extra pieces.
After the new additions and repair were complete, I gave it a quick sanding to smooth it all out and it was now ready for paint.
Here’s what it looked like with two coats of Behr Exterior in Vintage Linen…
My final step was dry brushing with a light brown and darker glaze to give it an aged look, and add some new hardware to the drawer.
It came together rather well, and it is now at its new home where its new owner is very happy with it…which makes me very, very happy.